Whether you are single, part of a couple, or have a family, there are probably more frugal fall activities than you think.
Autumn is the perfect time of year to get outdoors. The air is crisp and energizing. The leaves change colors and delight the senses. The days aren’t too short, yet, so you can take advantage of evening hours for activities.
Singles, couples, and families can all find fun things to do in the fall. In fact, you can enjoy free or low-cost activities all season long. Here are some of the best ways to enjoy the season.
Frugal Fall Activities for Singles
Autumn is a great time of year to spend time solo. As fall turns to winter, the weeks often get taken over by holiday events. It helps to prepare for the season with some solitude in the previous months. Some of the best frugal fall activities you can do alone are:
- Read a book in the park. Take a blanket and enough layers to stay warm!
- Visit local botanical gardens. Everyone thinks to go in the spring, but fall has pretty plant life, too!
- Collect leaves. Use them to make a fall terrarium, dry them for art, or photograph them for Instagram.
- Volunteer. If you see a local fall event that sounds fun, then give them a call to volunteer your help with it.
- Enjoy an evening at home. Light candles, wear a favorite sweater, and listen to the wind whirling outside.
Frugal Fall Activities for Couples
It’s easy to spend more money when you’re in a relationship. However, it doesn’t have to cost a lot to have a great time together. In fact, finding frugal things to do with one another can inspire really creative dates. Here are some ideas:
- Go for a hike. Find a place with colorful leaves to get in some exercise together. Biking is another option.
- Enjoy a long drive. Turn up the music and hit the open road to take in the scenery.
- Take a hayride. You may think they’re for kids but they can make a fun date, too!
- Embrace a frugal Halloween! Have fun making your own couples’ themed costumes.
- Trade massages in front of the fireplace. Make home cozy in more ways than one.
Frugal Fall Activities for Families
Autumn can be an expensive time for families. Back-to-school costs, fees for after-school activities, and planning for the holidays can all make the budget tight. However, you can still have some terrific family outings without spending a lot of money. Here are some top frugal fall activities for families:
- Make leaf crafts. First go outside and enjoy collecting fallen leaves together. Then sit together inside and DIY.
- Visit a pick-your-own farm. Gather apples for pies and cider. Pick your own pumpkins later in the season.
- Spend time in the park. Enjoy it before it gets too cold. Likewise, fall camping can be frugal family fun.
- Make soup. Kids of almost any age can help in the kitchen. Use leftovers each week to make yummy soups!
- Roast marshmallows at home. Make a fire in the backyard, gather around, and share some ghost stories.
What are your favorite frugal fall activities? Share suggestions in the comments!