There are so many different options for streaming television these days. They range from finding specific shows online for free to signing up for full-service access to all of the channels that you love. AT&T TV is of the newest options hitting the market. Is it a frugal choice?
What is AT&T TV?
AT&T TV is a new streaming-only version of DIRECTTV. It requires a new streaming box that you get through the company and utilize with your existing television.
Three Tiers of AT&T TV
There are three different options for AT&T TV:
- Entertainment, which includes “40,000 on-demand titles & live TV” with channels like ESPN, TNT, and HGTV
- Choice, which adds lifestyle and sports to the entertainment lineup, and upgrades to 45,000 titles
- Xtra, which adds movies to the Choice lineup, and levels up to 50,000 titles and includes channels such as Aspire and BBC World News
All three packages come with:
- 500 hours of Cloud DVR storage
- Access to more than 5000 apps including Netflix and Pandora
- Voice assistance through the remote
- HBO®, CINEMAX®, SHOWTIME® & STARZ® are free for the first three months
Pricing and Bundling Options
Each of these three options is available on its own or as part of a bundle. Make sure to read the fine print, because there are a lot of small details. For example, the prices listed are the pre-tax price for 12 months. However, you have to sign a 24-month contract to get that price. All we know is that “prices higher in 2nd year” but we don’t know how much you’re locked into paying.
With that in mind, the listed prices for AT&T TV only are:
- Entertainment: $59.99 / month
- Choice: $64.99 / month
- Xtra: $74.99 / month
Note that Choice and Xtra require an additional $8.49 per month for the Regional Sports Fee. That isn’t included in the listed monthly price.
You can bundle any of these packages with Internet service for an additional $30 per month. This includes unlimited data for no extra fee. Again, be sure to read the terms and agreements carefully before you sign a contact for AT&T TV with or without bundled Internet.
Can I Get AT&T TV?
AT&T TV is a brand new service. Therefore, its launch begins in only a few cities. As of this writing, it’s available to people living in:
- Corpus Christi, El Paso, and Odessa, Texas
- Orange and Riverside, California
- St. Louis and Springfield, Missouri
- Topeka and Wichita, Kansas
- West Palm Beach, Florida
The company plans a national rollout before year’s end. Therefore, you should be able to access the service in your area soon, if you can’t already do so.
Should I Get AT&T TV?
If you’re already paying for DIRECTTV but you don’t use all of the channels then it might be a frugal choice to opt for AT&T TV. However, there are a lot of different streaming TV options available these days. You might find that you get all of the channels you actually like for $20 or less per month using a service such as Philo. If so, then AT&T TV wouldn’t be worth the cost. Weigh your options carefully with your own television viewing tendencies in mind.
- 5 Free CordCutting Services – Watch TV and Movies, No Account Required
- Is Cord Cutting a Frugal Choice? Tips for Reducing the Cost of Streaming TV.
- Cord Cutting Tips: Put an Antenna Back on Your TV